IDC School of Geometric Patterns in Islamic Art
DESCRIPTION: The IDC School of Geometric Patterns in Islamic Art is planned as a one week regular course with about 30 hours of lectures and tutorial classes. This event will have typical school/university structure – each class 45-50 minutes, homeworks, certificates of completion, etc. The school will end with exhibition of students’ works. If you are a student of an university, then you can consider it as a 2 credits course in American or British system.
The school will take place at the Istanbul Design Center in Istanbul. On some afternoons we will have walking excursions to different places in the old town, exploring geometric patterns and discussing them.
PROGRAM: we are going to cover Central Asian methods of geometric pattern design. The course will start completely from scratch and go to the medium level pattern design techniques. Large part of the course will be devoted to analysis and outcomes from Topkapi, Mirza Akbar Khan and Tashkent scrolls.
In the beginning of the course you will have to forget everything what you have learned before about constructing geometric patterns. For this reason the course will be perfect for a complete freshmen. Note, we will rather concentrate on techniques and methods, than on a specific patterns. The outcome of this approach is that participants will be able to start quickly their own designs.
This course is a unique opportunity to learn theory and methodology created by the presenter after many years of his research in Central Asian scientific literature (mostly in Russian), resources in museums and archaeological sites of Central Asia and Turkey, discussions with scientists from Uzbekistan and Iran. The course content was never published or presented in the West. Small parts of it were published only in Polish journal Mathematics for Teachers in a series of articles in 2016/2017.
- Title: Autumn School of Geometric Patterns in Islamic Art
- Organizer: Istanbul Design Center, Istanbul
- Chair: Miroslaw Majewski (responsible for the program and participants selection)
- Dates: 1st – 7th October 2017 (first course) and 8 – 14 October, 2017 (second course).
- Participants: artists, architects, mathematics teachers, students.
- Number of participants: 20-25 people.
- Fee: €100 regular participants, some discount maybe available for students.
- Teaching faculty: Moslaw Majewski (NYIT) and Asiye Kafalıer Dönmez from KTSV (if Asiye will be available at this time).
- Language: English, it can be also Russian 🙂 or Polish.
- Total cost: at the very moment we do not have sponsors for this event. Thus participants will have to cover their tickets, hotel, workshop materials, etc.
- Workshop materials: I guess we may have some materials left from previous workshops, but it could be nice if you could bring with you your favorite pencils, papers, etc. The exact list of needed materials will be posted here later. All works done during the course are participant’s property with one exception – your final work that will go on display at the end of the course and it will be left at IDC.
- By the way: this course can be repeated exactly, or in a modified or extended form, in any other place and time during this autumn. If you think that it is possible to make it in your place and get sponsors for it, please contact me using the enclosed below form.
Course photos (added on 17/11/2017)